Monday, March 8, 2010

ILLUSTRATION-Past

Pacific Source Publishing- Magazine Illustration- National Publication- I called the art director of Pacific Source Publishing to see if they would use me as an illustrator for their publication.

I told them I had dreamed to be published in their publication for years. Many of my Boise State University Professors had been published in their magazine regularly. They are located in Nampa, Idaho. I never met them or even showed them my portfolio. I asked them if they would just give me an assignment, and told them I would complete the project and they would not be obligated to publish or pay me for the illustration if they did not like the drawing.

Success!


The article was on the right to prayer in schools. I tried to get into a public school to use a child as a model, and wasn't allowed. I went to a Christian school and was allowed to photograph an 8 year old girl sitting in front of a chalkboard praying with a math problem on the chalkb0ard.



They were happy with the illustration, paid me $300, and I was published in a National Magazine for the first time. I tried to get more assignments but they worked through a design firm and only made this exception for me that one time. I was very excited to be published in their magazine! I haven't tried to work with publisher since this. It is very difficult to get in, and get steady work and to find a publisher that is interested in your style and will work with individual artist's anymore. I would be interested if a publisher approached me and my style is what they were looking for, if they were reputable and paid well.

No comments: